DJ Memorial International Photography Competition
A curated extravaganza, of Exquisite Imagery and Creative Indulgence, a Juxtaposition of Insightful and Expressive photography.
The DJ Memorial International Photography Competition is open now. The competition starts on May 25th 2020 and ends with flair on July 5th 2020, running an impressive 41 days. This year is the 9th edition and the backdrop of pandemic makes it important for the organizers. The sun rises in the east and sets on the west, but this time it’s different. The fade of light opens up to scenery which will go undocumented as we live our lives but forget those who’ve helped us with surviving the inconvenience. Wildlife on the other hand has more than ever started taking back what belongs to it by stripping off vehicles and pedestrians of the street. The year 2020 marks a different start to an era, which must always be part of human history and should be never forgotten.This year photographs submitted by participants must be of wildlife and depicting the scenes across sunrise and sunset with clarity.
Lakshmi Machine Works Limited (LMW) is backing and organizing the DJ Memorial Photography Contest (DJMPC) as an annual competitive event to identify, recognize and honor talent in photography. DJMPC was created by LMW in memory of its past Chairman and Managing Director, Dr.D.Jayavarthanavelu (DJ). The event is being held to remember and celebrate the immense passion that Dr DJ had for photography. The first edition of DJMPC was held in 2012 and the event was received well by the photography fraternity and judging by the response that the ninth edition of DJMPC has received this year it appears that this annual event is gradually evolving into a major calendar event in photography.
Brief word about Dr. D Jayavardhanavelu
Dr D Jayavarthanavelu was the Chairman and MD of LMW Group. He was also the Chairman of Rieter LMW Machinery Ltd, a joint venture company of Rieter, Switzerland and LMW, Coimbatore. He was nominated by the Indian Government to the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India and was also a Member of its Inspection and Audit Sub-committee.
Having equipped himself in the Faculty of Engineering at Coimbatore, Dr Jayavarthanavelu studied B.S. Textiles at Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science, Philadelphia, USA and took intensive training in Production and Management at Rieter Machine Works Ltd, Switzerland. He has been conferred with Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) by the Pondicherry University and Doctorate by the Annamalai University. He has also received the ‘Vivekananda National Award for Excellence’ by Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya.
Dr Jayavarthanavelu has been the Chairman of the Textile Machinery Manufacturers Association, India, in 1983-84. In May 1995, he was granted the ‘STATUS OF COMPANION’ of the Textile Institute, Manchester. He has been the former Chairman of the Indian National Office of the Textile Institute, Manchester, UK and the ‘WORLD PRESIDENT’ of the Textile Institute for the period 1998-2000 (first Asian to hold this high office). Besides, Dr Jayavarthanavelu was also a Committee Member of Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), New Delhi, and Patron of the Institute of Indian Foundrymen.
Even though he was a great and accomplished Industrialist, he was equally compassionate and quite adventurous. He had in his lifetime taken some real time off to pursue photography alongside his work and generated a true work – life balance. He has been a great inspiration to a lot of people regardless of their age. During his lifetime he has always been one of those people who took initiatives and delivered results.
By entering the DJ Memorial Competition 2020, the entrant agrees to maintain the highest standards in all matters relating to the Contest and not to do or say anything that does or might damage the reputation of the Owners, the Competition, the other entrants or the official partners, supporters or sponsors of the Competition. The entrant acknowledges that entry into the Contest gives full rights for the organizer to use the images for their promotional activities, corporate brochures, calendars etc. Due acknowledgment of the photographer’s name will be mentioned for the images that are used by LMW.
It is the responsibility of each entrant into the contest to ensure that they have read and will abide by these Rules.
- Not permitted to submit images that Feature farm animals, family pets and/or cultivated plants.
- Not permitted to submit images that have been captured using live bait.
- Not permitted to submit images that are Nesting Bird Pictures which have been awarded any prize, recommendation or other award in the previous editions of DJMPC
- Not permitted to submit images that Include any human / man-made element such as bridges, roads and/or any construction of any nature specifically for Wildlife entries.
- Not permitted to submit images that Use Trap camera images which are not allowed.
- Allowed to submit Sunrise/Sunset entries which have human / human-made elements and domestic animals.
- Are informed that any entry found not to comply with the Rules at any stage of the Contest may be disqualified.
- Are informed that the only mode of communication will be e-mail. Therefore, they have to mention their current and valid email ID, Mobile No and address in their entry.
- Are informed that all submissions for the contest have to be made only by an online entry at www.djmpc.in. All relevant particulars as asked for in the online portal have to be filled in.
- Are informed that all entries should have a title. Entries without a title will not be accepted. “UNTITLED” is not a valid title.
- Are informed that if there is dispute of any kind, the decision of the jury will be final and binding on all concerned. All disputes will be subject to Coimbatore jurisdiction.
- Are informed that In addition to the Winner and Runner prizes, Certificates of “Honourable Mention” will be awarded to selected photographs at the discretion of jury.
- Are informed that the Organizers shall not be held responsible for non-performance and any obligation cast on them by these rules due to the occurrence of any Force Majeure event including any act of God, civil commotion, natural calamity and any other happening, which the Organizers cannot reasonably prevent or control.
Image Submission Rules
- There is No Entry fee for this contest.
- Up to 4 images per theme and per entrant (Total 8 images) are allowed.
- Submissions must be in digital format only. Black and White images are also allowed for entry.
- For all categories, digital files must be submitted as JPEG format, saved at a highest quality setting.
- Colour space sRGB.
- At 1920 pixels along the longest dimension.
- No borders, watermarks or signatures should be included.
- File size should be a maximum of up to 5 MB.
- Entrants whose work has been shortlisted will be required to provide the following:
- RAW files (eg .CR2, .NEF etc) format will be required for authentication.
- High resolution files (preferably TIFF) required for printing at maximum resolution, and match the colour and cropping of the JPEG file submitted for online entry. Please do not upscale the image. Files must not exceed 30MB.
- Digital adjustments including tone and contrast, burning, dodging, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, minor cleaning work are permitted providing that they comply with the Competition’s principles of authenticity, so that they do not deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality of nature.
- Adding or removing objects, animals or parts of animals, plants, people etc, are not allowed.
- Entrants should not include their name in the caption or on the image captured. EXIF details like camera and lens specifications, exposure information should be kept intact.
- Images made on or after 1st January 2017 only will be eligible for entry into the competition.
About the Winners
- Landscapes: – Valtteri Mulkhainen (Finland) has presented the picturesque Finland everyone wants to see. His imagery was one that can be classified as elite and beautiful.
- Wildlife: Dr. Thomas Rajan (USA) put up something that was unexpected in this category. He caught a seagull on camera picking out its fish for the day.
For anyone who has inquiries and any clarifications, you can contact us on email@example.com or on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/djmemorialphotographycontest/